20 June 2021

2020: the year that changed my life forever. Part 5: first signs of recovery

Dear readers,

the sessions at the nutritionist and at the expert on alternative medicine were very useful and brought some important improvements. However, the main problem was that each profession, including the doctors, basically worked on their own and sometimes even disapproved of the other's methods. If they had collaborated and exchanged information properly, it would have been much better.

On 7th September I left for London to visit my mother and sister. It was a very important but strange experience: on the one hand, I really enjoyed being in London again, but on the other hand, due to some bad spontaneous decisions and choices of food, episodes and physical symptoms came back and I even had a breakdown the day before leaving. What triggered them was the decision to sleep flat on my back again, which caused acid to come up to my mouth and nose again and some other digestion problems, which in turn caused more episodes.

After my stay in London, things started to improve, thanks to three key elements: my new diet, my new daily routine and activities, but mainly vitamin D. The expert on alternative medicine had recommended it and it turned out being a life saver. It took at least two to three weeks before it had any effect, but it played a very important role in the healing process. In fact, I soon realized I had a lot of more energy. I finally managed to go back to my favourite free time activities and practice them on a regular basis: watching films and series, reading a book, listening to music.

Unfortunately, exactly when things had started to improve, a bad choice of remedy caused a serious deterioration of my physical condition. The expert who had recommended vitamin D had also suggested I should take probiotics. In her opinion, they would activate and accelerate the healing process and would really make a difference. This was not true, according to the nutritionist: she said that I should not take any extra nutrients as they could potentially make things worse. I decided to make a compromise: I took them only for a couple of days and half the recommended dosage. Unfortunately, the nutritionist was right: the probiotics normally contain an additional ingredient (in my case, it was corn starch) that produces sugar when it reaches the stomach. If ingested in its natural form in food, it would not cause any problems, but isolated and used as an additive, it destroyed my digestive system. To make things worse, the medicine I had been taking against acid finished the job. Following my doctor's and the experts' advice, I managed to stop taking it completely.

One Saturday, as I came back home from shopping I had a sudden and unexpected episode. (I had not had any episodes for several weeks, the last being the one I had before leaving London). At that moment, I thought: this is it, it's over now, more physical symptoms will be triggered and who knows if and when I'll ever recover. However, to my utter surprise, nothing happened. My body was finally fighting back, thanks to vitamin D and to all the efforts I had been making to keep my thoughts under control. I have not had any other episode since then. The monster is dead.